Germiston Glasgow

Can anyone help me find pictures of Germiston in Glasgow. I am hoping someone has been around Germiston with a nice camera taking photographs of the places and the people. Please post a comment if you know anything about the history of Germiston. Some of what I write will be a little tongue in cheek, so be prepared to have that wee pinch of salt handy. Scroll down and enjoy!

Google
 
Web Search for more Germiston

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Germiston House

I am intrigued by this place.
My memory of Germiston is of tenements and multi-story flats, bounded by railway lines and industry.
Of course once upon a time this was not so. I doubt if there will be anyone alive who can say that cliched phrase: "I remember when it was all fields".
Though I imagine in the early 20th Century, it probably was largely still fields and open space. Well from the little knowledge I have of the place it was probaly piggeries and whatever green space surrounded Germiston House..
I have been bugged for years as to the precise spot Germiston House stood and its orientation. I have seen various maps and pictures and I understand it probably stood in the area between Forge Street and what used to be Coll Street.
One account states that Germiston House was demolished in 1913, however there is a photograph, which has accompanying data stating that the picture (I will post lated) was taken in the 1920s. Another account states that it was demolished in 1926 to make way for a housing development.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

There is more. Scroll back up
click on the previous posts
and archives on the right